Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Goethe's thoughts on the Matter. . . .


“For my part, I cannot be satisfied with a  single mode of thought. As a poet and artist, I am a polytheist; on the other hand, as a student of nature, I am a pantheist, - and both with equal positiveness. When I need a God for my personal nature, as a moral and spiritual man, He also exists for me. The heavenly and the earthy things are such an immense realm that they can only be grasped by the collective intelligence of all beings.” 

                                      Johann Wolfgang Goethe


2 comments:

LMA said...

Maybe, just maybe, the "collective intelligence of all beings" will one day find the answers to all our questions, assuming of course, that we survive as thinking beings.

Kirbycairo said...

Yes, now I only wish that wasn't such a big 'if.'